There are a number of sources of financial assistance to help students attend POPL’23.
The SIGPLAN Professional Activities Committee (PAC) offers a number of grants to help students and SIGPLAN members attend SIGPLAN-sponsored events:
- Student presenters and co-authors of a paper at POPL’23 or a co-located event
- Members of historically marginalized groups, including students and scholars at historically black colleges or universities and minority serving institutions
- Child-care travel support
- Companion care-provider support
- Long distance international travel support
The deadline to apply for these grants is typically four weeks before the early registration deadline (12/16/22).
Student volunteers play a vital role in helping the conference and associated workshops and tutorials run smoothly. Job assignments for student volunteers include but are not restricted to: assisting with technical sessions, workshops, tutorials and panels, checking badges at doors, operating the information desk, providing information about the conference to attendees, helping with traffic flow, and general assistance to keep the conferences running smoothly. In return for their efforts, student volunteers receive:
- Access to all workshops, tutorials and the main conference,
- Daily lunches and coffee breaks,
- Access to all social events.
- The deadline for the first round: Nov 5th, 2022 AoE (notification: Nov 15)
- The deadline for the second round: Dec 1st, 2022 AoE (notification: Dec 5th)
The Programming Languages Mentoring Workshop is meant to expose late-stage undergraduate students and early-stage graduate students to research in the field of programming languages. The program typically includes technical, mentoring, and networking sessions.
PLMW@POPL’23 has scholarships funds to help qualified students attend the workshop. These scholarships can cover expenses (airfare, hotel, and registration fees) for attendance at both the workshop and the POPL conference itself. Women and underrepresented minority students, and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
POPL 2023 will host an ACM Student Research Competition, where undergraduate and graduate students can present their original research before a panel of judges and conference attendees. ACM and our industrial partners provide financial support for students attending the SRC. More information will be posted here when it is available.